Skip to content

Hard Bottom Maintenance

January 3, 2011

Last summer I was lucky enough to get my hands on a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile boots, and over the last 18 months, they’ve taken quite a beating.  As with most boots made of good leather, they only get better with age and wear, the 1000 Miles are no exception.  Also with wear comes the need for a new set of hard bottoms.  I finally wore through the soles and in preparation of winter, I had them outfitted with new leather and a layer of vibram rubber to keep all the wet bits out – below is the finished product.  If you’re looking to make your boots last, a layer of rubber is a sure fire way to go, just ask your nearest cobbler during your next visit.  All my footwear maintenance (including the below) is taken care of by Caesars Shoe Repair.

7 Comments leave one →
  1. January 3, 2011 10:51

You’re on fire, travelling man. Those will look great next to that crater. Looking forward to reports back about little Elvis and the big dinosaurs.

2. January 3, 2011 11:00

I WHOLE HEARTILY ENDORSE CAESARS! FROM VINTAGE GUCCI TO NEW BOOT HEALS…
    SIMPLY PUT,THE BEST!

3. January 31, 2011 10:18

Glad to see what you did, the leather sole was my biggest concern when I bought my 1000 miles. Because if this, and not wanting them to get salt stains, I have not worn them much this winter.

It’s good to see what mine will look like after some good use.

Best,

Lawrence

4. February 26, 2011 16:55

They did a great job on your shoes, congrats. Not taking anything away from Ceasars, he is a great cobbler, but personally, I take all my shoe and leather repair work to Antonio at http://www.shoerepairnyc.com , he is a great master craftsman himself with 25 years experience and does amazing work. Plus, he is conveniently located for anyone in the park avenue south, flatiron, murray hill area, very close to the 6 line on 41 east 28th street between park and madison avenues. My hats off to all the great cobblers like Antonio and Ceasar!

5. March 6, 2011 15:36

Looks great! Just started to wear in my 100 mile Addison I bought in San Francisco a month ago. Since we have like six months of snow and ice here in Sweden I also had my local shoe repairer put some thin rubber soles on. Looks good and gives them a real good grip.

6. March 6, 2011 15:37

Oops, 1000 mile Addison of course…

7. October 10, 2014 00:02

Definitely consider that whicxh you stated. Your favourite reason appeared to be
    at the web the easiest factor to understand of. I say to
    you, I certainly get annoyed while other people
    think about issujes that tyey just don’t understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the whole thing with no needd side-effects , folks can take a signal.
    Willl probably be back to get more. Thank
    you