Skip to content

Sir Ernest Shackleton

December 13, 2009

Irishman, sailor, explorer, leader, and overall badass.  Sir Ernest Shackleton led 28 men to explore the south pole, lost his ship in the ice, and survived along with all of his men for nearly two years on an ice floe .  After being rescued; what did he do?  Went back and tried to do it again.

10 Comments leave one →
  1. newgrass permalink
    December 14, 2009 04:11

Wow, “badass” is right. Love these pictures.

2. December 14, 2009 22:01

Perfect. Thanks.

3. Mike permalink
    December 21, 2009 16:34

You should check out “Scott and Amundsen: The Race to the South Pole” by Roland Huntford. Its a double biography about those two dudes and how they became rivals. You would dig it.

4. December 21, 2009 17:42

Mike,

Thanks for the tip and the post. I’m definitely going to check this out.

Jamie

5. Alexander Gorman permalink
    April 16, 2010 09:55

When I worked in an elementary school, there was a huge book detailing the photographs from Shackleton’s expedition put out by the Museum of Natural History. Every day, before the end of the day, I spent at least 25 minutes of enraptured slacking every day. Before the end of the year, I was checking out jobs with Raytheon, who provides services for the folks down at McMurdo Ice Station. And obsessing over Werner Hertzog’s “Encounters at the End of the World,” which incorporates some footage of Shackelton and a well place drawing of a chimpanzee riding a goat into the sunset.

The journey of the Endurance is amazing. What’s even more amazing is that they realized no one was coming to get them, and sailed out in the Antarctic Ocean for South Georgia Island in a tiny boat. One of the hardest sailing expeditions of all time, and they made it. Shackelton is buried there.
    I’m still trying to find a way to get there.

6. April 16, 2010 10:24

Alexander – True story, Endurance is amazing. Every time I’m outside in the winter and complaining about being cold, I shut my mouth, and think of Shackleton – another true story. I’m definitely going to check out Hertzog’s stuff, that sounds really good.

Thanks for the post and for checking Standard Edition.

Jamie

7. June 21, 2011 16:23

I AM A FIRE HORSE, MY GREAT GRAND FATHER FRANCIS WILLIAM SHACKLETON COUSIN OF EARNIST SHACKLETON SOUTH POOL , 1966

8. Brad Cochran permalink
    October 22, 2015 02:35

The Endurance is simply put… “UNBELIEVABLY HEROIC EFFORTS NEVER TO BE MATCHED IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF ULTRA MODERNISATION OF TRAVEL, WITH GLOBAL WARMING ADDING TO THE IMPLAUSIBLE RECREATING OF THE MOST IMPORTANT SURVIVAL STORY EVER TOLD” … Without Sir Shackleton they’d have been destroyed early on. In today’s world of memories, this story shall endure … without exception; the single toughest event to have ever been accomplished with nary a single casualty of life. Today’s mindset couldn’t imagine even an attempt at successfully accomplishing such a feat. Simply put, we all have life far too soft. I can hardly imagine going to the toilet in such conditions (even once), forever forgetting two years of actually living entire days, accomplishing all means of what it takes to simply exist. Shall I never utter a complaint again, lest God strike me dead. Ernie, boys, you’ve forever altered this poor sap. Thank you!

Trackbacks